The Alcazar Hotel fell victim to the Depression, cold weather, and changing lifestyles; it closed in 1932. Otto C. Lightner could be considered one of St. Augustine’s first historical preservationists. He saved the former Alcazar Hotel from an uncertain fate, most likely demolition, in 1946. Lightner purchased the hotel to house his vast collections of arts and antiques. Since then, restoration has been an on-going process at the Lightner Museum. Major renovations include the elegant front lobby, the grand ballroom gallery, a new roof, library, board room, and several special exhibit gallery spaces.
Much of Otto Lightner’s collection is also in need of repair. The museum has an exciting program called “Adopt an Artifact” to assist in the preservation of the collection. For more information about “Adopt an Artifact” click here: Adopt an Artifact