SAINT AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
Lightner Museum is housed in
the former Alcazar Hotel built in
1888 by Henry Flagler.
Today it is home to
one of the best collections
of fine and decorative
19th century art in the country.
The Museum is open to the public
seven days a week and features
self-guided tours, tours by reservation
for adults and children, and
demonstrations of antique
mechanical musical instruments.
The Museum is also available
for weddings and events.
Click here for information on Dressing Downton
Lightner Museum is housed in the former Alcazar Hotel built in 1888 by Henry Morrison Flagler (1830-1913). The hotel was often called “the castle of happy returns.”
The hotel was at the peak of its popularity during the 1890’s. More than 25,000 guests visited the Alcazar during those early winter seasons and countless more used the recreational facilities of the casino. For the pleasure of the guests, there was the world’s largest indoor swimming pool at the time, the grand ballroom, sulfur baths, a steam room, massage parlor, a gymnasium, a bowling alley, archery ranges, tennis courts and a bicycle academy.
From typewriters to Tiffany,
Otto Lightner’s collection of fine
and decorative art from the 19th century
is impressive and extensive.
The Museum’s eclectic collection
ranges from a mummy, shrunken heads,
human hair art, cigar labels, buttons,
salt and pepper shakers, to Tiffany glass,
cut glass, porcelain, fine art paintings,
furniture and sculpture all housed
throughout the four floors of
the original Alcazar Hotel.